I suggest you ...

Duplicate Detection Perfected

Improve Hubspots CRM duplicate detection by allowing the user to set the criteria for what is considered a duplicate.

Currently Hubspot CRM will detect duplicates ONLY based on a email address.

Everybody has multiple email addresses - EVERBODY.

Allow the user to add other criteria for duplicate detection like LinkedIn profile URL. You can only have one LinkedIn profile URL, so this would make duplicate detection nearly perfect.

[Nay Sayers]: What if someone doesn't have a LinkedIn URL!?!?!

That is why the feature request is for the user to specify whatever criteria they want for duplicate detection, for me it would be a LinkedIn profile URL

825 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JoelJoel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    HubSpotterAdminHubSpotter (Admin, HubSpot) responded  · 

Thanks for this suggestion. I think there’s two ideas here. One is being able to have contacts with multiple email addresses. The other is being able to set personalized de-duplication criteria.

Both are on our radar, and this is a great idea for an approach.

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • We Do TrainingWe Do Training commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How do CapsuleCRM and Pipedrive do it?
        Both allow multiple e-mails, and both have a decent Merge duplicates feature.

• Richard NealeRichard Neale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My need is for the ability to import custom company and/or customer property data (from .csv file) using a key OTHER THAN company domain name. As with many other users, the company domain name does not provide sufficient differentiation for (i) multi-branch companies; (ii) franchise companies; (iii) schools, government departments, etc.

In my case, I need to set up custom company properties to contain dealership data (only approved dealers are able to sell come of the brands we distribute, and the map of brands to customers (dealers) is complex and dynamic). I can use a set of custom company properties to indicate dealership status for each brand (for each company), but I need to be able to import that data set regularly to perform updates - and the import key can't be company domain name because that's just not granular enough.

Ideal solution would be for me to specify some other company property field (preferably a custom field) which we would populate with our unique customer ID. We would import a spreadsheet with dealership data keyed by customer ID.

I have a workaround (of sorts) which is to enter the customer ID into the company domain field (example: 2CUSTIDXXX.com), which works for as a key for managing the import. But I lose other functionality when the company domain field doesn't contain the actual company domain.

• Eric WagnerEric Wagner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Google's Contacts app has a very smart detection system - I believe it scans for overlapping data in multiple fields, like email, physical address, full name, phone number, and more. If the right combination of factors overlap and you use their merge feature, it will ask you if you want to merge those or not, giving the option back to the user. That would sure be useful here, especially for people who want to use Hubspot as an all-in-one contact management system for things like direct mail, where email addresses aren't always known.

• OC2PSOC2PS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, multiple emails per contacts should be allowed. Surprised it's not. Even simple CRMs like lessannoyingcrm.com allow this.

For Duplicate Detection please also compare phone numbers.

• LuLu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed with the need to have multiple email addresses per contact.

• BenBen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea. Also the link between Contacts and Companies being an email suffix is very restricting. We have a large number of contacts who run small businesses and only have a yahoo, gmail or hotmail email address. These can't be bulk uploaded in a csv because they will not link to their respective companies. It would be great if we could choose the de-duping and linking criteria.

• AlexAlex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

multiple email addresses are a real must. we are struggling with this daily. We collect the secondary email address but its of little value from a marketing stand point.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additionally - adding a LinkedIn URL allows the connection of a profile with our contact. This will minimize having to update the profile picture, job titles, etc.

I agree with the option to set de-duplication criteria by the user. According to my opinion VAT number is great, but give us the option to select something else, even if it is a user created field. I would use VAT for existing customers, since I have this information, and something else for opportunities.

Custom de-duplication for contacts and companies would be very helpful. We subscribe to data (census) that is updated quarterly and is key to our company targeting efforts. Many of our companies do not have a domain name and so this match field is marginally useful.

We should be able to refresh our data against an identifier field instead of just the domain.

• Sarah SharpSarah Sharp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a problem that we have too. We can't communicate effectively with people with two email addresses because one contact record always has less info then the other and it is hard to know which they prefer.

• Brianna JacksonBrianna Jackson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd also like to be able to track a concept of "alternate contact information" where they have a primary email and phone number but I can contact them at any phone or email and it all goes into one contact.

At the very least I'm either hoping for the ability to generate a list or create a workflow if a contact's first and last name matches another contact. I happy to then go through that list manually and merge contacts as I don't think we have too many duplicates.

Feedback and Knowledge Base